Thursday, October 10, 2019

warming up the house

I was resisting turning up the thermostat last night, but this morning I was too chilled in the house, so up it went, one degree. That helped, and then I cut up a butternut squash and put it in the oven for two hours. That always does the trick. And then I turned it back down when it reached sixty outside.



I also did my ironing, and the beef stew for dinner was on the stove a good two and a half hours. A lot different from yesterday when we were both at work; nobody at home makes for a cold house. 



The swamp maple in the back is getting that fluorescent look now. It wasn't being captured by my camera though, so I had to jump it up with the software.

Speaking of beef stew, I usually just wing it and it's fine, but I wanted to try a particular recipe. It was delicious! I had a bottle of beer in there, and Worcestershire sauce. I don't think to use that, but I will from now on. There was a dumpling recipe to go with it, but the pot I am currently using is high and not so wide - not so suitable for a batch of dumplings. So I put them in muffin tins, not being sure how they'd come out without the moisture and steam they usually cook over. But they came very well. I will keep this recipe!

6 comments:

  1. oh I would LOVE that recipe... :) that sounds like such a nice day...things on the stove at home... and warming the house that way! it was cold this morning here too! But then it got up to 71F! and I was too hot (I was out and about today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, the recipe is linked there - it probably doesn't show up very well. It's the words "a particular recipe". It's as easy as any stew recipe, more celery than I usually use, but I am going to keep this and use it as a base for my stews from now on.

      Delete
  2. The stew recipe looks good! Richard is usually the one to make casseroles and stews in this house as he is good at one-pot cooking. He often adds beer or wine and they definitely make the gravy richer and help tenderize the meat. I add Worcestershire sauce to all sorts of dishes - I love it! I am making cottage pie tomorrow and I always add it to that.
    Your swamp maple looks so beautiful! We are getting a little colour in the trees now that the nights are getting quite chilly. The days aren't much better. The warmest it's been is 59F, and so damp and cloudy too! We have had the heating on, I must admit. Richard feels the cold since losing all that weight last year so he doesn't moan at me any more when I suggest we heat the house! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have Worcestershire in the house (Lea and Perrins!) but don't think to add it unless called for.
      Fifty nine degrees is easier to take when it's sunny out - I wish you bluer skies, Clare. :) Richard sounds like a handy fellow to have around.

      Delete
  3. Such a cozy day, Lisa! The picture of the tree is beautiful even with some tweaking. It is so hard to capture the glorious colors sometimes. I'm happy the stew and dumplings turned out. And your ironing was completed...cause for celebration!

    ReplyDelete