Thursday, June 20, 2019

a poem about toothbrushes

I received my used copy of Phyllis McGinley's poems. The woman wrote on every subject, and with such cleverness!

My Six Toothbrushes

 Against the pure, reflective tiles,
Northeast a little of the shower,
Gaudy as crocuses they flower.

The colors vary; but the styles
Are recommended and didactic
(Some Fuller and some Prophylactic).

I cannot, it is strange, recall
When impulse sent me forth to buy
These gauds, or where or even why.

But here they dangle on my wall,
Symbols of vanity and hope.
I watch them shimmer while I soap

And am astonished, more or less,
Discovering how has lived in me
Such rage against mortality

That I this morning should possess
Six, six! and all set dense as thistles
With tough, imperishable bristles.

Polychromatic, they confront
My startled, half-abluted eyes.
Do these, I think, epitomize

The frivolous trophies of my Hunt?
Is my one Creed. my guidestar polar,
In corpore sano*, sana molar,

Which has no care for kind or witty
Or learned ways or actual grace?
Disturbing. Well, in any case,

At least they do look rather pretty
Hanging redundantly in files
Against the cool, reflective tiles.


* apparently means "a healthy mind in a healthy body"

3 comments: