Saturday, April 6, 2019

thinking about soft food


When the oral surgeon had finished with me - I believe it took him less than ten minutes to remove three teeth - they handed me a small tote with instructions typed on a paper bag containing gauze, and an ice pack. But when I got home, I also saw a lip balm and the above box of macaroni and cheese in the bag, which was rather nice. I do look on this brand as junk food, but, Reader, I ate it.

I have less pain than I did yesterday. Thursday night my brother said I looked like I'd been chewing tobacco. :D  Yesterday, he compared my appearance to Clutch Cargo. But it's just on the right side. It's hard to open wide to eat, and I'm not sure if it's the tooth removal or the poking from the novocained needles that's causing the soreness - I don't suppose it matters. I started making up a list in my mind of soft foods that would be appealing, and healthy, rather than yogurt and gooey pasta for days on end.


  • baked cod, or salmon
  • well-steamed broccoli
  • summer squash
  • well-roasted winter squash
  • hearty soups with soft veg and crackers broken into it for something more filling
  • yogurt
  • pudding
  • soft toast with plenty of butter and jam
  • hot (but cooled off) cereal - I like kasha
  • sardines
  • hummus
  • eggs: poached, scrambled or an egg salad
  • home-made macaroni and cheese
  • baked potato
  • twice-baked sweet potato
  • cottage cheese
  • a very ripe pear or mango
  • avocado
For some reason I feel better just seeing such a list. I think I'll write it down for my recipe box.



"borrowed" from the internet

16 comments:

  1. A list is always a good idea. Well I think it is anyway. Hope you're back to pain-free soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A list is like Having-a-Plan and I always feel better when I have a plan of action. I hope your face is coming back to your more normal appearance and that your pain stays minimal.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. The swelling is down, but the purple bruise! Everyone at work will think I've been socked! :D

      Delete
  2. Trying to find suitable food is so difficult. Something filling and nutritious but soft! Your list looks good though, and I hope you feel better soon. My daughter Elinor is in pain with wisdom teeth growing at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. My sympathies are with Elinor! I am surprised, though, at how many my age still have theirs; I always thought everyone had them out in their late teens or twenties. Mine didn't even start coming in until about twenty years ago.

      Delete
    2. I still have all of my teeth, and two of my children also had large enough jaws to accommodate all of their teeth.

      Delete
    3. That's great! My issue was my small mouth, and crowding. Even so, I ignored the admonitions of the dentist in suggesting a removal until the began to bother me in a way I couldn't ignore.

      Delete
  3. I had to have my teeth straightened so had four molars taken out when I was 12 years old. My wisdom teeth came through with hardly any trouble when I was 18. Elinor's wisdom teeth have been coming through slowly for the past couple of years - so slow! The top ones are through but the bottom ones are causing earache, and headache as well as jaw pain. The dentist says all is okay so we have to trust her. My brother had all his wisdoms taken out three years ago after years of abscess trouble. Yours came in late, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sometimes wondered if mine were causing my headaches. I'll find out!

      Delete
  4. Did you really have three wisdom teeth on one side? Normally there are only four total, two and two, right?

    After a stressful event like that, I would love to eat any kind of macaroni and cheese. But I probably would not have bought it for myself! Your dentist is smart. I'm glad you're not having much pain. Your soft food list is indeed encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I had the top two out, and the lower right out. :D. But I only got swelling on the lower right jaw (plus black and blue!). My problem with dairy is, if I eat it too often I get stuffed up, sinus issues and will get sick more often. I think I spent the first 20 years of my life with a stuffed-up nose because I did not know that.

      Delete
  5. I can remember coveting that particular brand of Mac back in my school days. My folks always bought the storeband, which I always deemed less yummy. I've not eaten the blue box as an adult so have no way of knowing if that still holds true. Now that we make our own from scratch I'd probably be disappointed either way, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie's would have been better. But I really didn't have to eat it. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, Lisa! I hope you heal up quickly. I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was eighteen, and I still remember it. I was sore for a while, but it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. You've come up with a good list of soft foods. I like tuna noodle casserole, so that would be on my list. And cake. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I knew I'd forget some important foods!

      Delete