Monday, February 11, 2019

fixing a jacket

My beloved, two-dollar, washable parka needs repair and I'm having a heck of a time trying to finish it up. There's a flap across the back, and underneath this flap is where the lower section is sewn to a piece of lining. Well, it tore away all across and I've been working on it.


I first bound the lining edge with some bias tape, zigzagging it along to secure it better, then turning it under and whipstitching it on the other side. Now, I've been using a back stitch to re-attach the under piece back onto the lining.

I have been going from right to left, knowing that when I got near the end it was going to be really hard to get a grip on it to finish - oh, did I mention that it's got a filling, not down, but fiberfill - anyway, because of that the lining isn't hanging free at the bottom for me to reach under and get a proper grip on it. If you don't sew, or haven't ever looked at the way your coats are constructed you might not  know what I'm talking about, but I am wishing this last section could just be glued together and be done with it!

I guess I'm just complaining here. I don't think anybody's going to give me a better solution. I'd better get back to work.

6 comments:

  1. a lot of work but sounds worth it! I need to put on a button on my red jacket again... always something to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will certainly be worth it - if I can do it properly. ;) I do miss wearing it; it's taking me too long to finish.

      Delete
  2. What a difficult job! It's so much easier to make something from scratch, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, I wouldn't want to make a parka from scratch, but yes - to sew a thing together in a proper order would be easier than trying to do this.

      Delete
  3. Goodness! I would never consider making a jacket, let alone a parka! And yes, that is what I meant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wore it today - the jacket and I survived the excursion. ;)

    ReplyDelete