Saturday, February 16, 2019

fixed the pocket


I use this basket for current sewing projects; just the fact that whatever I'm currently making is kept in a nice basket lends an air of what? - romance to the project. I don't put the mending in there. It's really just a place to keep all the pieces together. What's in there now is the other summer dress I was going to make ages ago - I just haven't been sewing much.

Except last night - I "fixed" my brother's jacket pocket! I had to - he was supposed to go away this morning and was hoping to have sound pockets. I can't describe what I did, or how. I didn't take photos - if I had, they wouldn't have been clear. This jacket has sort of double pockets on each side, they're sort of side-by-side and one was shredding. I snipped off the shreds and examined it. If you've ever made a pocket, it's the two pieces, seamed together along the curved edge and then attached to the garment where you put your hand in. This particular arrangement had a third piece attached to the other two but sewn to an opening next to the other one, so there are two places to put your hand, right next to each other, with one of them zipping up, if you want. I have no idea how clear any of this is, but I managed to - very makeshift - whip up another pocket and stick it in there, all by hand because it was just easier. It worked!

He didn't end up going. But the fact that I had very little time made me force myself to charge ahead and do something that I had no idea how to do. (I prayed beforehand for help, and I guess I got it.)  Not sure it's the best way to do things, though - kind of a seat-of-your-pants experience.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! Seat of the pants sewing is often the best kind in certain circumstances. Too much thought can delay the process and things always seem to go wrong. The basket does look nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm relieved it's done, and rather amazed.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing what we can get done when under pressure :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pockets are not easy things to do! I believe I would rather begin anew on a garment than have to deal with mending pockets! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many of these fly-by-the-seat sewing moments. And every time I regret not letting my mother teach me when I was still at home with her. Sigh.

    Good job! "It worked!" That is totally my bottom line.

    And yes, anything kept in a basket gets added romantic charm. I agree. I keep my yarn in one for a similar reason. The yarn is just more delightful sitting in that basket.

    ReplyDelete