Wednesday, August 29, 2018

at last, blossoms

I took this photo of the bean stalks over the weekend. It's really something to come out of the house and have this big, leafy thing on your right. But -


I was all prepared to tell the awful truth: that it may be an impressive looking beanstalk, but there has been nary a bean to be found on it.

And then, it finally happened - the next day, actually. On Monday, we saw blossoms!


Some pretty yellow ones


and some pretty white ones! And they're fragrant. I don't know why the two colors - it's all supposed to be Blue Lake.

But anyway - at last, blossoms!

6 comments:

  1. wonderful!!! may the blossoms bring fruit! (well beans!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pole beans finally got too heavy for the sort of trellis I had erected for them to climb up, and went wonky today, almost falling over completely! I knew I was going to take them out soon, and that helped me decide. But first I picked all the beans I could find...

    I hope you get some nice juicy Blue Lakes asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But aren't you approaching Autumn/Fall? Isn't this the wrong time of year for growing beans??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but those seeds were planted way back, Lynda! It's weird how long it took. We usually get a real frost in October, so I hope there's time for the beans to grow. I don't know how tender they are - if a weak frost would kill the plants off. We'll see!

      Delete
  4. I hope you get some beans soon! Blue Lake are lovely beans. I wonder why they took so long to get flowers? Perhaps you'll need to pinch out the top growth so the plants can concentrate on fruiting?

    ReplyDelete