Thursday, July 19, 2018

just housework

I made new curtains for my brother's room today - his old ones were torn.


I used a sheet from the thrift store.

I guess I was preoccupied last week - we had a cookout for all the cousins on my mother's side of the family. There were sixteen adults and two little ones. It was very hot and humid, but we sat under trees and nobody minded. They did all enjoy it, but we hadn't entertained so many before, and there's a lot to think about, isn't there? I'm not sure what I could have done better; I'll have to think about it.
Dolly escaped out the back door twice, so we harnessed her up and she was a hit with little two year old Ollie, so patient with his pettings. She impressed everyone.

She peed on the new rug. (Sorry to mention such a thing, but I like to share.)


I brought it outside to spot wash. It's cotton, and not heavy, but it's inside now and still smells. The area is on an edge, thank God, so perhaps I can drag it to the tub sometime and soak that section. She ran outside this morning when I opened the front door for a delivery; ran to the neighbor's and actually started to climb his tree! I wanted to say, Dolly, do you know how old you are? She didn't go up, though, and I was able to grab her. Her fur was all fluffed up with the excitement. Mr. Kibble is outside at this moment, and I've never seen him abroad after dark before - we do worry about him, but how much can you do with a cat who won't let you touch him? Except give him food and water. I'll have to get back to that story.




12 comments:

  1. Try bi-carb soda on the rug for the odour. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, do you mean sprinkle it dry on there? Or soak it in a dilute solution?

      Delete
    2. Ha! I don't know :)) I just googled it. They say use dry, but I think I would moisten the area to deodorise, then sprinkle on the bi-carb (quite liberally) and maybe rub/press in a little, then leave overnight(?) to dry(?), then vacuum off(?)

      A bit of trial and error maybe :) xx

      Delete
    3. Bi-carb is very good at deodorising rooms. When we first moved into our house it really smelt quite horrible and musty, even after we had cleaned it from top to bottom. We left dry bi-carb in dishes/saucers on the windowsills in all the rooms and it seemed to soak up the smell. I am sure Lynda's suggestions are good to try.

      Delete
  2. Poor Dolly must be a little anxious/excited after all the visitors you have had. What a lot of work involved in feeding and entertaining so many people! I am pleased it all went well. The material for the curtains looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bring her out regularly she does get much more alert and lively. Sweetie, who I thought was friendly, didn't much like being picked up by my cat-loving cousin - that was interesting. But Dolly was in her element! And thanks for the curtain complement, Clare - I couldn't seem to get a good shot of the finished project!

      Delete
    2. Cats are so interesting, aren't they? Their reactions to things are often quite the opposite to what we think they'll be! The curtains certainly look so fresh and bright and just right for a man too.

      Delete
    3. Yes, he likes them - which is important, too. :)

      Delete
  3. "Just housework," but housework is always something new and interesting to those of us who have an eye to see it! And when you write a blog, you can make something out of the most mundane events and tasks, something that the rest of us can enjoy as interesting without having to host a crowd, clean a rug, etc :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hot water and vinegar with rug? I think we had to buy a pee product from the pet store once, I am still in MI right now but when I am back next week in NJ I can look. so if you want to know leave me a comment on my blog ok? :) the thing is that sometimes cats will go again where they smell that they went last time.... we had a problem with Cleo a few years ago but it honestly is much better now. It can really be a 'fluke' thing because of excitement that they don't normally have in their lives! I love your blog always. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I had brought it outside, and scrubbed it a little with soapy water and rinsed with the hose. Then, poured vinegar on it, and rinsed again. But it must need to be soaked, not just washed.

      Dolly had peed on our old rug, which prompted us to get rid of something which was old and outdated anyway. I deliberately wanted something which would be easy to move and wash if we had to. But she has only done this those two times. She sleeps with my brother, and he said when she got restless that night, he was so tired that he didn't get up with her like he usually does. He gets up during the nights and brings her to the litter box, because she's often nervous of meeting Sweetie there. So, it isn't likely to happen if he gets up with her. (but between her and Mr. Kibble showing up early mornings, it's not easy!)

      Delete