Saturday, September 17, 2016

so young, so cute

At the library, when books are returned we flip through the pages looking for things; in children's books, for possible crayon marks or torn pages, in adult books for coffee stains or water damage. Not to mention personal things left behind, such as a special bookmark, etc. So, with that in your mind, picture me at work yesterday paging through some inter-library loan returns. I see a photograph.


I recognized him right away -  Paul Newman, from the fifties!

I looked up the last patron who had the book, and called - they said to dispose of it. !  It wasn't theirs, apparently. I brought it home to show my brother.

It's a real snapshot, not a print. I googled images of Paul Newman, Paul Newman with car, promotional photos of Paul Newman, but this didn't come up, so I guess it really is a photo that somebody, who maybe even knew him, snapped. It's a great pose; he's got a pen - maybe giving autographs? The car has California plates. Maybe I can look up the person who had it before this one, but we can only go back so far.  I've never been a fan and have probably only seen three of his movies but now I'm feeling nostalgic and want to see another one or two.


6 comments:

  1. LOL! Looks like it's yours now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll keep it at my desk at work, since that's where I found it.

      Delete
  2. What a find! He is *so* young in this photo! The Paul Newman fan club might be able to tell you when and where it was taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an idea!

      The other night my brother found a car bodyshop online somewhere with another photo of him working on the same car, wearing the same clothes.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating! What a potential treasure. I think Clare's idea is a good one.

    ReplyDelete