Friday, June 19, 2015

twilight times

I buy the Farmers' Almanac every year just so I can read the sunrise and sunset times. I like to know.


But I had no idea, until I discovered this site (no, I'm not in Norway) that there were three levels of twilight.

After sunset, there is a period of civil twilight. There is still enough light that you can do things. Then comes a period of nautical twilight, and you would probably need a lamp outdoors to see what you're doing. Last is the astronomical twilight which is getting dark but not the black of night. And the situation is reversed in the morning, of course. In Oslo right now they don't have actual night darkness  - how interesting that must be.

There was a day last week when I was so tired I actually plopped into bed at nine, and then realized it wasn't even dark yet!  I always feel these daylight hours shouldn't be wasted - that I should be able to be awake for all of them. But God made us so we need some sleep, and I was tired that night. I ended up getting out of bed at two to take my shower - it felt good! I was rested at that point, and why not get it out of the way?


Enjoy your summer twilights, wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. This was a learning post for me. I wasn't aware of this about twilight. My husband loves almanacs, and I buy him a copy of every different one I can find for Christmas every year.:-) I will put some cash in each one, calling it a bookmark.:-)

    ReplyDelete