Friday, January 25, 2013

new green sweater, with reservations


I was recently looking for a green sweater and found a good deal at LOFT online, a sixty dollar one for only twenty. When it came, I looked at the fabric content - it said five percent angora rabbit hair.

I suddenly began to wonder if little rabbits are killed for the stuff. Poked around online and found out that they're usually shaved.

Then I found myself wondering if they minded being shaved; if they were kept in over-crowded pens, like chickens. I eventually came across a little video about keeping them for a side business and how to shave them. The bunny didn't appear disturbed by the process. I guess I was satisfied enough to keep the sweater, which I was getting ready to send back.

And then Purl Bee posted these knitted hat patterns with angora in them - Whitney says the hair is combed from the rabbits, at least with this yarn she used. Well, I'm glad to hear that things aren't as bad as I'd originally feared. I hope.

Joining Fiona for Green Day

9 comments:

  1. Olá, essa camaisola é linda e adoro esse tom de verde! Ontem comprei alguns novelos de fibra de lã nesse tom para fazer algo...que ainda não sei bem o que vai ser (manta, meias,:))). Vamos pensar que os animais não sofrerão. Lindo dia para si. Abraço Ailime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice color. Frugal buy. Great Info. Hope you enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like me, precisely ME. I go through a similar process often times. I'm glad your keeping the sweater, it is a pretty green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that's something I would do. Glad to hear the rabbits don't suffer from their hair cut and you get to keep your sweater. Thanks for popping over to my blog and leaving a lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ,Very beautiful green moss sweater.I have never hear about angora rabbit hair.such interesting to know that they comb the rabbit hair instead of killing them.
    so happy to know this, thanks for sharing and happy green day and weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think only some comb the hairs out, and most shave the rabbit. But yes, I'm glad they're not killing! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I love the color. We use to raise rabbits and as long as the person takes good care of them I think all is good. So no worries there. You can relax and just enjoy it. I would like to have it for St. Pat's day. It will be here before we know it!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father used to have an angora sweater; the yarn was spun from home kept rabbits if I remember. That would sure have been all right, but I would have reservations about RTW as well, I guess. Good to know it's hopefully fine, though I haven't run into RTW angora yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,

    Muito bonito esse tom de verde. Amei!
    Um lindo Domingo pra você!

    ReplyDelete