Thursday, February 9, 2012

something new in the living room; something missing in the mail


I bought this from Anna a few months ago - it was already pieced, and layered with a corduroy backing and cotton flannel in between, and pinned all over. She advertised it as a possible baby blanket; I knew it would look good in the living room.

I only had to bind the edges, but it was hanging around - till now!

{happy}

It does look very nice on the back of the couch, just as I thought.


On the {real} front, I learned a long-overdue lesson today.  For the past few years, I've ignored my checking account - I don't balance it; I don't even open the statements when they come in the mail. It just doesn't seem as vital to me as keeping up with the housework. Of course, I subtract my checks as I write them, but....  math, I was never good in.

I don't even look at the totals on the deposit receipts!  Until one day recently I happened to notice that the total was way over what I thought I had in there.  I decided I'd better start doing online banking, just to more easily keep track of things. That was last week. 

Yesterday, I received a note from the town, saying we were delinquent on our property taxes. I wrote that check in mid-December!  It must have gotten lost in the mail!  But if I'd been looking at my accounts, I would have seen it and wouldn't have had to pay a fifty dollar penalty!  So. It isn't my fault it was lost in the mail, but as for the rest, as Mr. Bennett said, "It was my own doing, and I ought to feel it"!  And, I do. 

Pitiful, isn't it?



round button chicken  I bet Leila never did anything like that.

9 comments:

  1. Too bad about the lost cheque! (Canadian spelling in case you're wondering!) I love doing the online banking thing, it really helps me see where money is going when. And I love the quilt! Looks great on your couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just as sloppy with my banking. :P

    But that quilt - I knew I knew it! :-) Anna all through; and it was a good buy, it does look good there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, well. You're human, just like the rest of us. :) And that quilt is perfect--I love the colors. Enjoy a cozy night at home with it. I work tonight then have two days off. 'CAN'T WAIT. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the check - I have done things like that - I once had to pay a $50 overdue fee on my rent because I had written it out and forgot to mail it.

      But it's better to make a change in how you do things than beat yourself up!

      If you can make such a pretty quilt, you can come up with a money workflow that works for you.

      Delete
  4. Christine, I thank you for the vote of confidence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that quilt really DOES look very nice in your living room! Don't you feel a good sense of accomplishment, now that it's finished?
    I am the same way (almost) about that bank statement! Terrible, isn't it? I'm sorry about the penalty.:-(
    Have a good Saturday! Here we have a trace of snow, with the forecast for four days of winter-like weather! How unusual! Well, it IS winter, after all.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Between you and Anna you have made a lovely lap quilt.
    I use both cheques and online banking to keep my account up-to-date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I remember seeing this quilt top in her shop! I'm so glad you got it and have finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt, enjoy snuggling up in it.

    Pity about the cheque.

    Hope you have a good week.


    Fiona

    ReplyDelete