Sunday, January 29, 2012

"sponge" cake recipe

This is for Carmen - she wanted the cake recipe from yesterday's post.

Lemon and Walnut Tea Bread
1/2 c. butter or margarine, room temp.
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs, separated
zest of 2 lemons
2 T. lemon juice
scant 2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt

Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan. Set oven to 350.
Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and combine well. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix flour and b. powder well. Fold into butter mixture alternately with the milk. *
In another bowl, beat egg whites with the salt till stiff, then gently fold into the batter. Put into pan and bake 45 - 50 minutes.  (I would check it after 40 mins.)

* I used the mixer to add the dry ingredients and milk - didn't notice I was supposed to fold it in! Now, I'll have to keep doing it the same way.

The lemon sauce I used was this:  heat up 1/4 c. superfine sugar, the juice of 3 lemons and 5 T. water till all is dissolved.  (although it seemed a lot to me, and I used maybe half of it.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, this looks really good! Thank you for the recipe!
    It was thoughtful of you to bake the cake for your friend.
    Sending along wishes for a good Monday for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous,
    oh I would love a slice now with a hot cuppa!

    Love the photos of the sunbathing kitty too!!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks so bring and shiny on a cold winter day. I'm going to have to make that. Thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete