Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Flavia de Luce

I recently discovered a new-ish mystery series - I'm almost done with the first one, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley.  The "star" of these stories is Flavia de Luce, a 10 or 11 year old English girl, who lives with her father and two older sisters, Ophelia (Feely) and Daphne (Daffy) in a big mansion.  Her mother died years before, and the father isn't exactly a hands-on type, so the girls pretty much go their own ways.

It's 1950, and Flavia has a bicycle she calls Gladys and a keen interest and knowledge of chemistry. She's precocious, but not an obnoxious kid. Mr. Bradley makes the whole thing quite entertaining - if I don't chuckle at every page, at least I'm smiling frequently. And does he have a knack for a simile - they abound! I really enjoy them. I look forward to reading the other - two, I think. He intends to write five.

"Did I sleep well? What kind of question was that? Here I was on the terrace, sleep in my eyes, my hair a den of nesting rats, and my nose running like a trout stream. Besides, wasn't a question about the quality of one's sleep reserved for those who had spent a night under the same roof? I wasn't sure; I'd have to look it up in Beeton's Complete Etiquette for Ladies. Feely had given me a copy for my last birthday, but it was still propping up the short leg of my bed."

I guess I've been in need of a bit of comic relief, and this certainly provided it.

5 comments:

  1. I always love your book suggestions, I still need to get the other mystery series started but this one is has me very interested too - oh, if only I could read, read, read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you pick it up at the library? If not, may I borrow it? It sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Cheryl - I'm returning it tomorrow; I just finished it and it was very enjoyable.

    Kathryn, it seems to me that you do a LOT. We have to pick and choose our pastimes. It takes me ages to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I have a new book to add to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete