Monday, September 10, 2018

very snug

Today I used the oven a lot, which warmed up the house - it's amazing how fast things can cool off after excessive heat and humidity. One day of moderate temperatures followed by a rainy one only in the sixties, but I made good use of my time.


I first did some mending and worked on the apron, but then I was eager to try a new bread method I stumbled on yesterday, on youtube. One loaf, using only a quarter teaspoon of yeast! And very hot water. It came out well; I can see myself using this method in high summer perhaps - the oven temperature was high - 450 - but almost no work. The flavor that you get from using cold water and a long rise isn't there, but it does have a nice flavor - just different.



When the bread came out, in went some peppers from the garden, to roast - same temperature. Then, to use up some plain yogurt, I made Winnie-the-Pooh's chocolate tea bread. Everything's in the freezer now. The peppers are sitting in the fridge, in some olive oil. Did a bit of ironing, and the house feels very cozy.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like we are on the same wavelength again! I made bread today too :)

    Irish Soda Bread - no yeast, no kneading, so simple...and delicious. Just had a piece with butter and honey...yum!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny! Yes, soda bread is nice, too.

      Delete
  2. Our house is quite cool now, especially in the evening, when I'm tired and sitting still. I put more layers on as there is no way my husband would tolerate putting the fire on! He only notices the chill in the morning :D
    The bread looks yummy! It's nice to try out something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved the last few days and cooler temps. I have noticed the days getting shorter, too. The seasons are turning. Thank you for the links to the bread and Winnie the Pooh tea loaf. I will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound very cozy! Haven't baked bread in such a long time....unless you classify biscuits in that category.:-)Good to have a chance to do just a little catching up with you!

    ReplyDelete