Sunday, September 9, 2018

why I love Gladys Taber

"I suppose maturity might be defined as a willingness to shell peas. When I was growing up, I would do almost anything to avoid sitting down with a mess of peas to shell. No matter how fast and hard you work, you get a bushel basket of pods on one side and a scattering of small peas just covering the bottom of a small pan on the other. I found it absolutely maddening.

But now I don't mind. I like the smoothness of the pods and the clear green color. And I appreciate the delicate savor of new peas enough to feel rewarded for the effort.

Besides, I have learned that the mind can wander at will while one does the routine tasks, which is one reason housework never has to be dull. Sometimes when the peas plop softly in the pan, I remember places I have been. Like Williamsburg when the redbud is a singing color against the Virginia blue sky. Or crossing the James River at Jamestown about sunset with the sun going down in a deep sky and the lonely stone church tower of the old settlement slowly sinking into the first dark. Or walking on the beach at Ephraim, in Wisconsin, with the lake water rolling in pure and cold over polished white stones, and the sky there is a darker, cooler blue than the Southern sky.

...Here in Connecticut, I often feel I could pick a bouquet of stars on a June night, but I never have that feeling in New York, for the stars are remote there... But in the country, the earth grows dark at night, dark is the meadow, and dark are the hills. So the glory of the sky is fully visible and country folk look up a good deal...It is obvious that man is small and should be humble.

Thinking of the places I have been, I can find the peas are all shelled and I have not been bored at all. And there is a nice panful to cook with a mint leaf for lunch."


                                                - from Stillmeadow Seasons, pub. 1950

4 comments:

  1. I can see why you like her so much. I had never heard of her until I saw the quotes you've published here. I must see if I can get something of her's to read. Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, she had a home in Connecticut and one at Cape Cod. I think she wrote columns in magazines, which were later compiled in books. She seemed to have a sort of country wisdom which is so appealing. It's soothing to read her.

      Delete
  2. This is such a wonderful passage! The second to last paragraph rings with beauty and common truth. What a gift Gladys Taber had.

    ReplyDelete