Thursday, December 9, 2010

felt tree pin


I thought I'd try purlbee's felt Christmas tree pin, but I'm no embroiderer. I don't have lots of felt hanging around, but I do have a felted gray lambswool sweater - I decided to use that. The only regular felt I had was this deep red, so I used that for the stem. I don't have their suggested thread, which maybe is thicker than regular floss? - I don't know. So, I used two strands of bright green floss instead. But it doesn't really show up, does it? The lambswool is fuzzy, which obscures the threads.

I had a hard time cutting it cleanly - my pinking shears kind of stick (they're new) and it's impossible to open or close them fully with one hand. But I think the fuzziness of the wool may cover the cutting imperfections as well as it seems to cover my green stitches!  I also decided not to stuff the tree, because the wool is loftier than regular felt. It looks fine without it, as far as that goes.

I would like to try this again, but with what?  Maybe red floss would be easier to see, with more strands?
And maybe I'll use some stuffing next time around. It's a cute idea, and I'm pleased with it anyway - it's rather folk-art looking, which is an easy way of describing anything that looks like a child may have done it. ;-)

We're going out to dinner after work tomorrow - our Christmas party - and I'm going to wear this little bit of Christmas on my sweater.

2 comments: