Saturday, July 24, 2010

where have all my mockingbirds gone?



The mockingbird is my favorite bird - no contest - I love their sassy ways!   There's always a day, in the middle of summer, when a mockingbird perches on top of the telephone pole at the end of our driveway and does his "tunes" all day long.  You'll invariably run into the neighbor who will say, "If I had a gun, I'd shoot that bird!", but that bird is working hard, showing what he's learned. 


They always appear very alert to me - like they're sizing up the situation, or casing the joint. I get such a kick out of them.


But I haven't heard one sing in our neighborhood in months!  I hear them when I go to work, but not at home.  I actually saw one in our yard a few weeks ago, but he was quiet at the time.


These photos were taken by my friend, Cyndi, who lives about a mile away; she's a real bird aficionado - has several feeders with many gourmet delights filling them.  I'm afraid she may have enticed my dear mockingbirds away from here!

I really miss them!


(photos by Cyndi Lou Who)

No comments:

Post a Comment