Monday, August 26, 2024

a bit of charm on the front step

 The warmth has returned, and it feels summery again; today a "severe thunderstorm" threatened. The threat passed, but the rumbles remained for a while, with dark sky hovering in the distance. It rained some, and then strong winds blew in cool, cool air! Perfect.

Way back in May I gave in to temptation and purchased a planter at the supermarket, instead of a hanging plant. It was early in the month, before such flowers are blooming, but I couldn't resist it. There was phlox in it, dianthus, some little flowers and other things I'm unfamiliar with. It did very well, but eventually things were getting cramped and shaggy; I removed the phlox, and put most of the dianthus in my backyard garden, along with some of the tiny flowers. And I added a pretty sweet potato vine to the pot. I had seen one at Debra's years ago and never forgot it. Agway had a variegated type, and it really is pretty. Now, it's curving all around the front steps. 


It has gone down the side, too.


I also have a bright yellow pansy, which still blooms cheerily. I give these a bit of chicken manure fertilizer once a week, and they have responded to it. 


There are also two or three very small pots out there with what used to be seedlings in them - I had started things to put out in my garden, but when the butternut squash started covering the whole place, I gave up the idea. So they stay in their cramped quarters in contentment, I guess, and add to the grouping, and except for the borage, I don't remember what else they might be. Except charming.

4 comments:

  1. That sweet potato vine truly is charming! I love having a planter of annuals to brighten the doorstep, etc. But if the containers are too small the plants often have to suffer for lack of water, at least a couple of times in the summer...They usually revive when I notice them and give them a drink.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen. Yes, the small containers need more watering.

      Delete
  2. What fun the vine is for the front step. The small pots are a nice touch too. Our hot weather is back too, but not for long "they" say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I hope it's cool now for you!

      Delete