Monday, May 27, 2024

another Memorial Day

 It rained much of the day - it's pouring now - so I imagine the parades were cancelled. There were no military plane flyovers, which I always look forward to. We still had our little celebration, though. And I've got some Italian bean and butternut squash seedlings.



BIRCHINGTON CHURCHYARD

A lowly hill which overlooks a flat,
Half sea, half country side;
A flat-shored sea of low-voiced creeping tide
Over a chalky weedy mat.

A hill of hillocks, flowery and kept green
Round Crosses raised for hope,
With many-tinted sunsets where the slope
Faces the lingering western sheen.

A lowly hope, a height that is but low,
While Time sets solemnly,
While the tide rises of Eternity,
Silent and neither swift nor slow.

-  Christina Rossetti

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for the seedlings!
    I'm sorry you had such wet weather and the flyover was cancelled. I love a flyover and always look forward to the ones we get here. I had no idea that CR wrote about Birchington Churchyard. Assuming that the Birchington she writes about is the one I know, it is the seaside town that my uncle and aunt lived in from the early sixties until my aunt died last year. (My uncle died in 2000). The poem describes the shoreline exactly!

    ReplyDelete