Thursday, April 4, 2024

spring things

 I hemmed my skirt today,


and ironed it after I took these pictures. The dark brown and turquoise speak to me of spring. This is about the only thing I have which goes with the skirt, and tomorrow is about the only day I can wear it, because then it gets warmer - too warm for sweaters! 

We had a lot of rain the other day, and a wind advisory yesterday. But today there was snow! I went outside.


The backyard forsythia looks pretty good. I like the wild branches coming out the top. I was glad I wore the wellies instead of my snow boots; there is water everywhere, around the footprints.



Slush.



The hydrangea in water.

There's a bit of water in the basement, too.



I started reading The Medieval Mind of C.S. Lewis. The author feels that Lewis' deep knowledge of the Middle Ages so informed his entire life and way of thinking, that a book needed to be written about it. So far, so good. I also have Esther de Waal's Seeking God: the Way of St. Benedict. Benedictine monks take a vow of stability, which binds them to the place, the monastery, but really, to those who live within it. 

"The man or woman who voluntarily limits himself or herself to one building and a few acres of ground for the rest of life is saying that contentment and fulfillment do not consist in constant change, that true happiness cannot necessarily be found anywhere other than in this place and this time."

"The good order and stability of the community is the means: the end is that the individual may have space and time to enter into his or her personal dialogue with God."

                                                   -  Esther de Waal




4 comments:

  1. I think of peach and apple blossoms/daffodils golden yellow and bursts of bright tulip colors when I think of spring. But as a new adventure..i'm trying to see dark brown and turqouise in the spring palette somewhere!! I'm trying! I'm not very good at hemming--so I may be blocking it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm thinking of robin's eggs and mud! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Your skirt fabric is very pretty. I picked up a skirt length of fabric at the op shop last week. That was the easy part. Now comes the hard part... to actually make it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynda. I think I've bought fabric at a thrift store only once! I don't often see it. Good luck with your skirt!

      Delete