Sunday, April 21, 2024

quiet things

 Monday we went to the shore to visit a relative. I so enjoyed the ride; the trees are beginning to flower, forsythia is still brightly glowing and everyone is growing daffodils, it seems. It was delightful.

I had a quiet few days this weekend catching up on some painting in the bathroom. I also cut out fabric for a dress. 


I was searching online for a linen blend to make the Nepheline blouse, but couldn't settle on anything. Meanwhile, I've had this green for years, and decided to make a dress from it. It's been hanging around too long, and I think it'll suit this pattern.

The left version. The other is too short, but I did run into trouble while cutting. I knew I didn't have as much fabric as the envelope said I needed, but I still cut the first piece in the long version. I then came to my senses, knowing I'd run out before I was done, so I opened up the fabric, cut each one separately, and had just enough room for all - what a relief! I don't usually dig out my sleeveless dresses till July, and this fabric isn't exactly summery, being a medium weight and linen/rayon, so I may have to wear it before it gets hot - we'll see. I have to make it first. It was kind of what I was needing for the Nepheline blouse, but I didn't want to make it out of that, and it got me thinking I should use it, so I decided on this dress. 

making potato leek soup

"Lewis thought that chivalry, far from being... outdated, was urgent again. Chivalry was the very endeavor to hold the parts of the human being in tension... that is, to unite those parts of a human being that do not naturally sit well with one another: extreme courage and gentle civility. [Medieval chivalry] taught humility and forbearance to the great warrior because everyone knew by experience how much he usually needed that lesson. It demanded valor of the urbane and modest man because everyone knew that he was as likely as not to be a milksop."
                               
                               - The Medieval Mind of C.S. Lewis, by Jason M. Baxter


2 comments:

  1. Hope the sewing goes well. I had the sewing machine out today. Have a long skirt that isn't quite long enough. I like them to my ankles, but there was no hem to let down, so I bought 2 metres of wide ribbon and sewed it around the bottom :)
    And I've also been sewing up the pockets on my aprons. I have three that I've ripped because they keep getting caught on the drawer at the sink where I stand to wash up. Seemed easier to sew the pockets up rather than change the drawer handles. I do miss my pockets though :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have a new skirt! As for the apron pockets, if only you were a little taller, right? :D Yes, an apron without pockets isn't as nice as one with.

    ReplyDelete