Saturday, February 17, 2024

more time for reading

 


It was so pretty this morning.  Snow falling lightly, and it’s been doing that every night lately - just to cover. I’ve been sick, so in between trying to keep up with laundry and supper things, I have plenty of time to read. 

I'm fully absorbed in reading The Scent of Water, by Elizabeth Goudge. I was thinking of reading it again this year, and then Sarah Clarkson picked it for the next Patreon book, for next month. So I was going to wait till March to pick it up, but here I was, with a couple of non-fiction books, but who can read only that all the time, and especially when sick?

It has happened to me more than once when sick -  reading a story that drew me in so completely and spoke to me in a way that I might not have appreciated at a different time. I read this once before, but I hardly remember any of the detail. I almost feel I should turn around and start it again after I'm done with this go-round. Maybe I will! If a book speaks to you to that extent, then maybe more time should be spent with it, to absorb whatever it is you are supposed to learn from it.

But I've also got St. Bernard's On Consideration:

Do you ask what piety is? It is leaving time for consideration.


I need to consider what it is that draws me to this Goudge novel.


3 comments: