Thursday, January 25, 2024

I'm all for that longer celebration

 


I've picked up Elizabeth Goudge's Towers in the Mist, and found that St. Edmund Campion is a character in it - I hadn't looked at a synopsis beforehand. So it's more historical than some of her others.

I'm doing well with my mending and today fixed a torn flat sheet. 


Do you see that the tear is an L shape? I used to try and stitch those on the machine, but they end up being bunchy and looking like they will just tear again. So I found someone on youtube who says you should do it by hand. I did, and it does look better, but I don't know how it will hold; I'm ready to make a patch if need be.

After a day of rain, today was in the mid-fifties - the snow is gone. But Sunday afternoon we may get more, and with ice, which seems to be a theme this winter. Snow and ice. 

I took in the silk poinsettias and cleaned them - they look fine, and I'm glad I thought to put them out there for a bit of cheerfulness.


"One of the things about our own topsy-turvy time is that we all hear such a vast amount about Christmas just before it comes, and suddenly hear nothing at all about it afterwards....I am going to plead for a longer period in which to find out what was really meant by Christmas; and a fuller consideration of what we have really found... There is no modern legend of what happens just after Christmas; except a dismal joke about indigestion and the arrival of the doctor." 

                                    -  G. K. Chesterton

"If it is treated as such, it is because the modern world does not know what Christmas really is and why it is worth celebrating in the first place."

                                -    from Winter Fire: Christmas with G.K. Chesterton, by Ryan Whitaker Smith



6 comments:

  1. Same!! Our candlemas is February 15th and I am having DV A Christmas dinner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What it is about how sheets are manufactured that they tear in that L shape? I've had that happen too, more than once, and it always seems odd. And if you don't catch the tear quickly, it will grow! There's probably some simple explanation, but it's not one easily learned. Agreed that mending by hand seems the wisest course, with that type of stitchery being something you can control compared with stitching by a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a cat, Elsa Louise? Because I think our Annie may have done this work. :) I'm glad to hear that someone else has mended this sort of thing by hand.

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed your GKC quotes. In this country, most of the population celebrate Yule though they call it Christmas. We see all decorations taken down within a couple of days of Christmas day.
    I do most of my mending by hand as I can control things more easily that way. It does take ages though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please share a photo of how the bed sheet looks after it's been mended! I need to do some mending.

    ReplyDelete