Monday, October 30, 2023

with us intertwined, please


 We had two or three summery days last week. I had the week off; my co-workers have often told me that I pick the best weeks to be on vacation, and it seems to be true. I had no way of knowing ahead of time of course, but it was a treat. Still, by Saturday evening, I was ready for some cool breezes. After dark they came, and I sat on the back step, watching leaves fly over my head - from the roof, apparently. I tried so hard to photograph the flying leaves, but have no idea how to do it, or even if I can. Now, it's thirty degrees cooler and we have to get used to it. 


I went to Pinterest to get inspiration for dinner, and saw a recipe for colcannon that I'd saved. Well, I had a cabbage, cheddar and potatoes. But it was getting late, and I didn't have time to examine the instructions, so I just cooked the cabbage with an onion, added savory, salt and pepper, then shredded  a few potatoes in the food processor, sprinkled cheese all around and put it in the oven. It was pretty tasty, but I know I didn't do the potatoes right, and I used red cabbage - very unsightly! We had kielbasa with it. I'll have to try it again, properly next time.

Every day I break up more cardboard and lay it around in my beds outside. We've had more rain and there's standing water out there now - these beds I bought aren't exactly thick wood - I hope they survive their first fall and winter, before succumbing to rot! 



I've been hemming and hawing over my dress: to line or not to line, to face or not to face. I guess I should use a facing, like the pattern suggests. I don't like iron-on interfacing, though. And am not even sure if I have any. I'm old enough to remember how it was before it existed, and they were all sewn-in, woven interfacings. I may do that. But I need to stop the dilly-dallying.


God, be in our thinking, always as a guide;
God, be in our yearning, high and deep and wide;
God be in our caring, with us intertwined,
As we grow to love you, heart and soul and mind.


Carl Larsson - his home and studio

No comments:

Post a Comment