Thursday, October 5, 2023

three surprises, and a decision to make

 I went outside first thing to put more cardboard in the garden area, and there were so many diamonds in the lawn! 


Can you see them? At the top, but not very clear, I'm afraid. But when I came back I noticed something else!



I planted these morning glory seeds very late - probably in July, but I was determined to do it anyway. I told myself to not expect a bloom. But, here we are! These little plants didn't seem to suffer from the cold we had last week, so we'll see how long they can hold out.

After posting the fabric and pattern yesterday, I started to think that I could make a whole cloth quilt top from that check. It's more than long enough; I'd have to widen it with something but it would look nice, colorwise. So that's where I've been much of the day, trying to decide between making the dress or a quilt. I really need a new quilt, since the cats have torn up the old one. Basically, I don't feel like making a quilt, and I really would like to make a dress for myself. I never finished that blouse last spring, and the summer v-neck dress was turning out so different from the way it was portrayed on the package. Those sketches always look more flowy than the reality, but this one had a photo - and the photo didn't show how full it is. I abandoned it. I would like to make something to completion. 

I am now reading Out of the Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis, with the podcast group. I ended up abandoning the H.G. Wells, as I wasn't finding time to finish, and didn't like the intensity of it. I've since learned that the story by Lewis was intended to be a sort of re-telling of the Wells novel. Of course, I like this one much better; his tone is quieter and he is coming from a different place, mentally and spiritually, which is going to be evident in all his work.


5 comments:

  1. I liked the look of that dress on the pattern envelope. Are you thinking it might be too full, or not full and flowy enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I am referring to the blue sleeveless dress I started to make earlier this summer - it isn't looking like the package image. I am going to examine the pattern pieces with this one!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes, I see the diamonds! <3 And isn't that a special gift from the morning glory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make the dress. If you don't feel like making a quilt and only make it because you feel you ought to it won't be a pleasure and the job will drag on. You will also have to find some other fabric to make the quilt wide enough which will add to the time/expense etc. Make the dress!
    The dewdrop diamonds are beautiful and how lucky to get a late morning glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I'm feeling inclined to do, Clare! I need a quilt, and I'll probably make one, but I feel like doing this first: a small, quicker thing that I can (hopefully) feel pleased with.

      Delete