Thursday, October 26, 2023

fall colors

 A few nights ago it got down into the thirties. Now, we're having summer again, with four days in a row of the seventies and up to eighty. I'm trying to finish washing the windows while it's nice. 


I can't ignore the beautiful scenes out the window, with everything golden, and leaves gently falling in the sunlight. I notice every change of light, every different window angle - I am always enraptured at the beauty. The reds and oranges are past now; the yellows have taken over.


This is next door - can you believe it? And there's a golden maple in our yard, too.


Fantastic. I had my window open last night and will again - next week will be drastically different, with daytime temps in the fifties and then the forties! Well, it'll be November.



We have a book at the library similar to this one, with Carl Larsson's paintings in it; it's called A Farm. But there are two more, which I obtained through inter-library loan, A Family, and A Home. They are all delightful, as you can imagine. His work makes country life and family life fascinating and very appealing. I'm also going through some older Country Living magazines, tearing out what is saveable. This caught my eye today

In cities, no one is quiet but many are lonely.
In the country, people are quiet
but few are lonely.

- Geoffrey F. Fisher

I don't think Carl Larsson's home was too quiet, with so many children, but it looks just right. 

Meanwhile, I plod along with my sewing; I've cut some of it out, and was looking through my thread to find a match. I hesitated over the facings - I don't like them and would rather make a bodice lining, but I haven't done that with sleeves. It may be nothing, but I told myself not to be so stubborn and just do the facings. 


I was very surprised while cutting that Daisy didn't rush over when she heard the pattern papers rustling. Well, I have to thank God for these small mercies. Meanwhile, I caught her in a comical position today.



6 comments:

  1. I love Carl Larsson! I found a book of his paintings last year at a book sale (The Paintings of Carl Larsson) and enjoy looking at the children, house decorations, the peacefulness of his setting. I will have to keep my eye out for the names you mentioned.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family has all three of those Larsson picture books; we used to pore over them with the children <3

    That really is a funny kitty pose!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think they are wonderful books for children!

      Delete
  3. Oh how beautiful it is now. It’s as though the whole world is celebrating. We had rain today. Leaves began to fall. More rain is coming. It is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete