Monday, August 7, 2023

a garden saga

 The very rainy weather pattern we were in seems over, and it's actually been September-like at times, in the high seventies and how eighties. Amazing! And very welcome. But all my plans for the backyard garden were foiled and now I just have to learn from this and forge ahead. 


Do you see the long grasses in there? Just one week ago I went in to pull up some weeds after the weather had changed. There was standing water in there along the edges, and the weeds I pulled up were not only in muddy soil, which I expected, but sopping, dripping mud. There was really no point in continuing. I realized that raised beds are what I need to think about. I don't know if today, one week later, it was much drier, but today we're having a very rainy day, rain on and off all day, so there is really no point. The rain today is normal for summer, falling straight down, cooler breezes coming in the windows - it's nice. But that area down there doesn't need any more water, unless I want to grow rice. 


My brother had told me in the spring that he wanted to focus on the side garden - he works long hours and doesn't have so much time - so I said I'd work in the back garden. 



His MO for the garden was always to rototill, and then plant everything close together, so the plants could help prop each other up to a certain degree. He would incorporate some compost with each plant he put in, and then use MiracleGro for fertilizer. He told me that the point of growing your own veg is to spend as little money as possible, to make it worthwhile. And, to be fair to him, he had to make good use of what little time he had to spend on it. But I have different ideas (and probably less realistic than his).

I told him not to till, that I didn't want to weed seeds to be turned up by the tiller. I was just going to try and keep up with them as time went on. When I began in mid-May, it was kind of muddy in there, but I bought a few savoy cabbage plants and onion sets and put them in, along with some mushroom compost from the garden store down the road. I had no idea of filling up the space, as it is a good size and I didn't want to overwhelm myself; I thought I'd buy plants a little at a time, and compost as needed, clearing weeds as I went along. I developed a vague memory of a weeding implement, dug around in the basement and found my cape cod weeder - a fantastic tool for weeding! When the ground is dry, there's nothing like it for cutting those weeds out entirely; when the ground is moist, you can usually just pull them up by hand. 

So, time went on and I bought the rosemary plant, a garlic chive, and some oregano, just whatever caught my fancy when I was at the garden place, and I got some chicken manure fertilizer, the dried sort. I took care of my plantings, the cabbage was growing nicely and I also got an heirloom tomato called Black Russian - I do love the heirloom tomatoes. My plan was to see how things went, and maybe cover parts of the garden with cardboard if I thought I wasn't going to plant there, to keep down the weeds. I was going out in the cool mornings, watering and spreading grass clippings around the plants.  I had a plan. Then it started to rain. 



At first, I just waited, but it would shower every day, it seemed, and more like a downpour. And at times when I couldn't go out. Then, it was all so wet, there wasn't much point, and I thought it would pass. But it lasted three or four weeks, along with steady excessive humidity, the whole time. The cabbages were ruined. The tomato was, too. I didn't think to put them in pots - I didn't know it would last so long. 

I read somewhere once that Leonardo had many failures; he kept going. There isn't much point in my being mopey - I just want to learn from this episode. I was telling my brother at dinner that I'm going to get raised beds. He can't see putting out any expense for them, considering how they need to be filled, etc. But there are a lot of helpful gardening channels on youtube - like Huw Richards, an amazing young man who's had a channel since he was a child, really, and he has frugal and sensible ideas for gardening. I don't mind the expense in order to establish things.

We'll see how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. What a disappointment after you had made such a good start! The weather is that unknown quantity we have to do battle with every time we plant anything. We learn to be philosophers and we try to learn from our mistakes and we either continue to be hopeful or we give up in disgust!
    We have found that raised beds do help but in dry spells of weather they need a lot of watering. We put the raised beds straight down on top of grass and then filled them with all sorts; old spent compost from pots and grow-bags, kitchen waste (peelings, coffee grounds etc) and a compost bin of mostly well rotted stuff. We topped it off with some top soil. We add new manure/compost to the top a short while before we put new plants in just to replenish what has been lost. Our backs don't ache quite so much when we work on the raised beds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's pretty much the way I think I'll do it.

      Delete
  2. I have little experience in gardening but the lesson of acceptance of current circumstances and not giving up is so important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to resent it or deny it is counterproductive. At least I that I'm not responsible for the failure!

      Delete
  3. All hobbies require some investment, of time and money. It's not just the vegetables that make it worthwhile! I'm glad you're not trying to hold yourself to your brother's style, and it's a good thing you each have your side of the garden ;-) Planter boxes sound like a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where his view is coming from, but I can afford to take more time with it. I find your use of the word "hobby" interesting. It's definitely not been a hobby for him, I'm sure he does it because it's inexpensive, produces healthy food and is beneficial to the gardener, being outside working in the dirt. For me, it may be the same - I hadn't thought of it. And even though I have more time, at my age I don't want to have too many crop failures! :)

      Delete