Thursday, July 27, 2023

soggy plants, so much rain, and insects


 The cover on my new copy of Gentian Hill. It's certainly better than the other copy. But it doesn't illustrate (no pun intended) what the story's about, in my view. If I were an artist I'd paint a view of the town, the bay, the ships. The beautiful English scenery, which seems to be a character in her books, much of the time. 

We had a most beautiful weekend, with less humidity and lovely sunshine; we'd been waiting for it all summer. Now the humid air is back, and so the air conditioning. We had a thunderstorm today, too. More rain. The garden is a washout and I think I should get the wood for some raised beds. A long story, to be told later. Rosemary isn't looking too good.

My brother's kitchen garden is better, since the soil isn't as heavy, but the tomato plants aren't getting as tall as they should and the tomatoes are resting on the ground. We have to pick them before they're ripe or they'll rot. This is most unusual. 

My dress is barely coming along, but today I finished the understitching. I think I may have to topstitch around the neck edge to make it lay flat. I really don't like doing it. Do people who can whip up a dress in a day or two just ignore the housework? Or maybe they have a cook, or a housekeeper. 

A couple of nights ago I saw a few fireflies, so they're still around, but dwindling. 


There's always a chance, when you read a science book about a subject, that the romance of it will wane for you - the magic is "explained". This book is very interesting, and the author loves her subject. So, I'll try not to let it spoil my enchantment with fireflies. I know she means well. Books written by naturalists, on the other hand, seem to find a nice balance between the two: science fact and poetry.

"Summer belongs to the insects, and in the drowsy heat of July and August, when I walk southward over the brown road from Morgan Creek to Lone Field, I am never out of hearing of the buzzing of meadow grasshoppers, the whirring wasps. the droning of bees at the old field flowers. Birds sing early. The awakening whistle of quail comes at dawn from the hedges, and in the cool, green woods, the redstarts, summer tanagers, and red-eyed vireos sing long before the heat waves shimmer over the road and the sun has burned away the morning mists. But it is the insects that proclaim high summer, and at noon of days when the temperature rises to more than 100 degrees they are fiercely active."

                                             -  John K. Terres, From Laurel Hill to Siler's Bog

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are having such a wet and humid summer. It is so frustrating to see plants struggling and not be able to help them. We are having a much cooler and damper summer than last year. Richard discovered mildew on his Sweet Williams today :(
    I agree with your view of scientists vv naturalists. Most scientists have to be factual, poor dears, they van't help it and as you say, they mean well! :D
    I know a few people who ignore the housework if they have a making project on the go. One of my aunts was like that. When my cousins were young she would often sit with them and read or embroider and chaos would reign. My mother was always very sniffy about her laissez-faire attitude but I think my aunt was the happier woman! I feel guilty if I leave housework and knit or sew instead, even though both of those jobs are providing clothes for the household. I think it is the British Puritan ethic in me that says if I enjoy something it must be bad!
    I love your quote from John Terres xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildew on Sweet Williams! It seems worse to see that on flowers, somehow.
      I hate to think I'm part Puritan :D but I also feel I should at least get somewhere with the housework before I go to my projects, and then it doesn't happen. :(

      Delete
    2. Those Puritans have a lot to answer for! I think it is also being a dutiful woman that makes us at least attempt to get most of the boring chores out of the way before we get on with those that are more palatable. Poor projects don't get much of a look-in, do they? I sprained my ankle (somehow on Monday) so I have had an excuse to do some knitting and reading though I've still got all the laundry done!
      We have humid weather but not hot humid - only 17C/62.6F today. Lots of lush green growth in the weed and grass department but the flowers are suffering from sorrowful dejection. ;)

      Delete
    3. Oh, your ankle! I hope it will heal quickly; sprains can be rather bothersome. xo

      Delete
  2. We aren't seeing many fireflies this year; wondering why... I love the quote from Laurel Hill. I haven't heard or seen the summer tanagers here for the past three days. I hope they haven't flown south already, but it is possible. By noon the past three days, it has been so hot that nothing seems to be stirring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same copy of Gentian Hill! Such a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete