Thursday, March 30, 2023

soup dupe

 


I thought the frost was a little much this morning - a little too white - but then I realized it was snow. Not much!

I didn't have a plan for supper today; I've been making soup almost every day during Lent - and then I got an idea. Pacific brand makes a red pepper and tomato soup in a carton, which is Very Nice. Late last summer I froze whole red peppers and fresh from the garden tomato wedges, and they've been in the freezer all this time. I would look at them and not know what to do. But I thought I might try to copy this soup. So I defrosted them, simmered them with two cups of vegetable broth for forty minutes, and smoothed it all out in the blender. I added some cream, basil and a bit of honey because the peppers did give it some bitterness. But, with a tuna melt sandwich, it was dinner! 




4 comments:

  1. I love that you've been making lots of soup during Lent. This one sounds really good! And the addition of the tune melt is perfect! Glad the homemade version worked out for you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous colour and a good use of frozen veg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How resourceful and creative! It's been a long time since I had enough tomatoes to freeze :-( -- in those days tomato soup was a good way to use the many quart bags I would stack in the freezer. Now I just buy canned tomato chunks, and I never feel the need to make soup out of those...

    I also buy the Pacific or Trader Joe's brand of Tomato and Red Pepper Soup, which is so yummy. You are inspiring me in that direction!

    ReplyDelete