Thursday, January 26, 2023

keeping busy

 


Finally finishing up my flannel skirt. I've also gone into my yarn stash, to try and work it down a little bit,

and found this cute pattern on Etsy.



The reading challenge this year requires a Jane Austen work I hadn't read. We have Sanditon at the library, so I read it. Well, that is I read eleven chapters, which is the part of the book that Jane wrote. The rest has been finished by someone, and I decided to skip it. I'll probably pick up Lady Susan at some point, but for now I'm re-reading Persuasion. Also, Rescuing Socrates, about the value of a liberal arts education by a fellow from the Dominican Republic, who is now teaching at Columbia. I just began it, but it's very promising. 

3 comments:

  1. Sanditon is different to her other novels and I would love to know how she planned to go on with it. I always begin to like her characters each time I read it as I do with the family in the Watsons. I can see that if JA had finished and edited The Watsons it would have been similar to her other early works but Sanditon is something better, I think. I am not interested in how someone else thinks the story should end just as I don't ever read other peoples' ends to Dicken's The Mystery of Edwin Drood.
    Congratulations on finishing your skirt and yes, those mittens are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also dearly love to know where she planned to go with Sanditon. It's meaningless to read someone else's account of the end - who can think like Jane Austen, anyway?

      Delete