Thursday, October 6, 2022

hard times

 Well, I have a photo of a book I read, and a sewing project I hope to make, but blogger won't load the photo. Maybe another day.

I finished reading Hard Times, and loved it, but it did have to grow on me. I almost gave up on it when I was sick, since it is a very serious book, rather heavy, you might say. I felt in my state I couldn't read something so weighty and thought I could just continue with the podcast discussion. So, I picked up The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder; I have been going through that series every now in a great while. Well! It was just as heavy in its own way, with the never-ending blizzards - I read half and went back to Hard Times. 

Meanwhile, I have a good sized piece of a pretty floral cotton and a same-sized piece of an ivory, so I am hoping to make a baby sized quilt, a style which I've made before. As long as I can get to it. I have no baby in mind, but then in our church bulletin was mentioned a collection for baby things for those in hard times, which they do periodically, so it would be something I could do with it. 


Here it is. 

no more hard times for this one, hopefully


2 comments:

  1. I am sure Daisy will have very good times with your care, Lisa! I remember liking Hard Times when I read it years ago. Quite bleak, but I think fairly truthful about the conditions in those industrial towns and cities like Manchester at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I almost gave it up when I had COVID, Clare, because it was heavy and I wasn't feeling well. So I picked up one of the Little House books which I've been going through every once in a great while. The next one was The Long Winter. Ever read it? It is every bit as heavy as Hard Times, in its own way! I read half, asked myself why the torture, and went back to Dickens, by which time I was feeling better. One blizzard after another - a horrible winter for the Ingalls family!

      Delete