Sunday, March 20, 2022

third Sunday of Lent

 The grass turned green the day before St. Patrick's; it's been warm. Friday it was in the seventies! One hardly knows what to wear, when the clothes in the closet are for the forties. New Englanders always have something to complain about in the weather. :)

                                                           

When I brought pieces of the gluten-free, sugar-free cake to work, it was very well received. So, I'm making it up tomorrow for Wednesday's celebration. Meanwhile, I still haven't done my taxes. It's always this way - I wait long enough for all the pertinent forms and things to come in the mail, and then things like this come up and before you know it, it's the eleventh hour. But I still have a little time.

In Malcolm Guite's poetry guide through Lent, this week Dante will accompany us. He says: "Most of us are under pressure, external and internal, to do everything, be good at everything, be accountable to everyone for everything! It is not so. In the divine economy each of us has a particular grace, gift and devotion. Finding out what that is, and learning how to be guilt-free about not doing everything else, may be part of what our Lenten journey is for." I underlined that last line! But I still must do my taxes.

                                   

I like this magazine

At the supermarket I thought to get a kielbasa for Easter and the local brand I like was twenty two dollars! I bought the ten dollar one - they taste the same to me. I'm not quarrelling with their price - maybe they source better ingredients, maybe they pay their employees better wages and benefits, I have no idea, but I just can't bring myself to pay that much. 


The Gospel reading at Mass today was from St. Luke, chapter 13:

"Some people told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with the blood of their sacrifices. Jesus said to them in reply:

Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were greater sinners than all other Galileans? By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did! Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them - do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem? By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!"

St. Patrick pray for us

3 comments:

  1. I like the quote about not being able to do everything. I'm enduring some forced down time due to being unwell, but getting better. Seems life still goes on without me, so maybe I'm not as indispensable as I thought! :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! I'm sorry to hear it, Lynda. I often feel when I'm sick, that it's an opportunity for me to see things a little differently. I'm not sure, though, if I carry whatever I learn back into my "normal" life.
      If I know anything about you, you are not lying about idly, but using this time as well as you're able. xo

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. I know my mind slowed down as well as my body, and I found I could focus on more important/worthwhile things rather than all the busyness. But, alas... Once we get back into it, much of our 'calmness' goes out the window.
      I'm pleased to say I am much better today, and trying to retain some of that 'stillness'. xx

      Delete