Saturday, February 5, 2022

ice, but not ice cream

 


There is ice on the clothesline, and the thermometer outside my window is stuck on 34 degrees because ice got inside it. It would be nice to have temps in the 30s, but it's colder; we left work early yesterday because it was getting icy.

Inside, today was Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, but I didn't plan ahead, and there wasn't any in the house. No cream, either, so I couldn't make any. I usually have it with pancakes, so I made them anyway, and pretended. 


I stacked them up with butter and then scooped some of my plain yogurt on top. With maple syrup. It looks enough like ice cream, and it was good. 

The supermarket shelves are showing empty spaces and there was no cornstarch, and no baking powder I wanted to buy, just the one with aluminum. I will have to try the substitutions I've seen online. Apparently baking powder is just a construct, a convenience, and not a "real thing". It would be good to know how to do without it.

7 comments:

  1. I use plain yoghurt in place of cream these days. Taste just as good, and is better for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's lovely 😍 really? A shortage of baking powder? I bought the Rumford brand online via Amazon when we were in 2020 lockdown and it is still available that way.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, the Stop & Shop we go to hasn't had ANY Fancy Feast cat food for weeks now. There is another place in town, and they seem to plan better, but empty spaces are appearing here and there. I will have to get the baking things online, as you say.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever had ice cream for breakfast. Time to give it a try, methinks. Yoghurt with cereal, certainly, but that's different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice Cream for Breakfast Day! Oh, why isn't this marked on my dayplanner?!!? That sounds like my kind of holiday.

    I've never experienced a proper ice storm. My friend who moved to Arkansas taught me about them. It so wild to me! Ice coating powerlines and (clotheslines and) such. I hope things aren't quite so cold and slick now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was not an ice storm! We've had those, but not often, thank God. There was just a bit of ice with this storm.
      I heard about the ice cream for breakfast from Margo, years ago.

      Delete