Monday, January 3, 2022

the little folk and the embattled flaming multitude

 Well, it's a new year, and there's a new reading challenge I'm embarking on. The very first thing is to read eleven poems by a poet who's been highlighted on the Well-Read Poem podcast - I chose William Butler Yeats. 


I've never been much of a poetry person, but I think the influence of Gretchen, for one thing, has encouraged me; also, the two poetry podcasts I subscribe to - it does seem to grow on you. So I opened the poetry book of Yeats' work, and the very first one grabbed me. 


To Some I Have Talked with by the Fire

While I wrought out these fitful Danaan rhymes,
My heart would brim with dreams about the times
When we bent down above the fading coals;
And talked of the dark folk, who live in souls
Of passionate men, like bats in the dead trees;
And of the wayward twilight companies,
Who sigh with mingled sorrow and content,
Because their blossoming dreams have never bent
Under the fruit of evil and of good;
And of the embattled flaming multitude
Who rise, wing above wing, flame above flame,
And, like a storm, cry the Ineffable Name;
And with the clashing of their sword blades make
A rapturous music, till the morning break,
And the white hush end all, but the loud beat
Of their long wings, the flash of their white feet. 


Fantastic! Then I went to youtube, hoping to hear some recited by actors. Here's Sam Neill (why did I think he was American?). 

Yeats was really into the world of the little folk - well, I like the fairy folk myself. Except that after a while I wondered if he ever came back to earth. But I don't know anything about the man. 

10 comments:

  1. I love Yeats! It's funny, but here (Northern Ireland) it's not so much the faery folk stuff that is most discussed. I suppose given the recent centenary the focus has been on his political work. Except that I suppose even the faery folk were political - playing their part in reclaiming Irish culture for the Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know about the centenary - don't know much!

      Delete
  2. I have recently started reading more poetry. Perhaps some of us grow into it? I found it too slow and I thought it was 'difficult' when I was young but I now appreciate the visions these poets conjure up and the skill they use in finding just the right word. I *cannot* write poetry but I have come to appreciate those who can. Elinor bought me the complete Yeats a couple of years ago for my birthday which I dip into now and again. Beautiful poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How perceptive Elinor was to buy you the Yeats, so you could more appreciate my blog post today! LOL I agree with everything you're saying here, though.

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased...

    I haven't read Yeats at all, so this was lovely. The YouTube I linked to, though, was not this poem but rather "The Song of Wandering Aengus," also worth hearing :-)

    Now I'll go look for Sam reading "By the Fire" -- Thank you, Lisa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't mean to imply he was reading the above poem, but that I'd searched for any actor to read any Yeats poem, and that's what I found. Sorry for the confusion! I love the way he read this.

      Delete
  4. And, oh my, but did you listen to Yeats reading his own poetry? This one he is fairly singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLlcvQg9i6c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I don't really understand the way some poets read their own work. Or maybe it's the time he lived in, but I think actors usually do it better. :D Don't know if that's heresy or not.

      Delete
  5. You've so quickly evolved from "not much of a poetry person" to possibly being a poetry heretic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Gretchen really thinks I've devolved! :D But she can't find a nice way of saying it. LOL

      Delete