Tuesday, January 25, 2022

making perfect yogurt

 I like to make my yogurt in the evenings, and I intended to last night but at the end of the day I didn't want to do one more thing, so I didn't. But while I was at work today I thought about it, and really the Instant Pot does it all - it's just a matter of keeping on top of when the milk is heated up sufficiently and when it's cooled enough. And I thought I might give it a go when I got home, even though it would be in between dinner stuff and laundry stuff and the rest of it. 


I have made yogurt on and off over the years, never sticking to it for too long, but I've made it on the stove and in the crockpot. And then strained it, as most people these days like it thick. Then I bought an Instant Pot. I had heard they are the best way to make yogurt. It's true. 

It's a big one - an eight quart, and I keep it in the spare room down the hall. So I brought it to the kitchen, plugged it in, set it to "saute" and poured in a half gallon of pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) milk. Then I went off to get changed, feed the cats, etc., etc. I know enough now to watch for the milk to steam, and then to start to become frothy - by then it's getting up to 185 F. I take the liner containing the hot milk and put it somewhere to cool. It has to get down to around 115 F, and that takes somewhere between twenty and twenty-five minutes. I add only one quarter cup of my previous yogurt, stir a bit, put the lid on securely and set it on "yogurt". It will keep it at the perfect temperature until I'm up in the morning, which tomorrow will be about thirteen hours later. I will take out the liner and put it in the basement fridge. And when I get home I can ladle it into jars. 

This will be the fourth time I've made it in the Instant Pot, and I can tell you it is the thickest I've ever made. Not as thick as Greek yogurt, but thick enough for me to feel I don't have to bother straining it. Which is great, because there's no waste. I get a half gallon of yogurt when I'm done! For less than three dollars. I'm not terrific at flavoring it; I have it with my granola. The Instant Pot is big and takes up a lot of room, but it makes perfect yogurt. I just need to remember to learn to use it for other things.

7 comments:

  1. Well done!! I love plain yogurt with granola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to avoid fancy machines now, as they have all become shelf dust collectors, but I do eat a lot of yoghurt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did have to think about buying this for a long time.

      Delete
    2. Me, too. So big, so spendy. My MIL let me borrow hers for a couple of weeks as a test drive which was really nice.

      Delete
  3. Nice! The IP really makes light work of certain tasks--yogurt making and bean cooking, say. I'll be making a batch tonight. I've never saved some from the previous batch to use as a starter for the next though. I just pop in the contents of probiotic capsule with each new batch. I'm intrigued though....might have to try that. I love that about sourdough---round and round and round. Very satisfying.

    I eat my thick and tangy homemade yogurt with a nice dollop of jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A probiotic capsule! You mean you don't use yogurt culture?

      Delete
    2. Correct. It was an alternative I read about online and I had some on hand whereas I had no starter or prepared yogurt to use so...I gave it a shot. It works.

      Delete