Thursday, August 5, 2021

returning to Thrush Green

 


Having finished the moving and dramatic story about The Dean's Watch, I've gone back to the safe and quiet Miss Read, where I'm going through the Thrush Green novels we have at the library, which isn't all of them, just the ones we own - I think I have four left. It's a little disconcerting to read them out of order; I've picked them up alphabetically, the way they were sitting on the shelf, and didn't think too much about it when I started. Now I may as well continue that way. 

As for Mariner, I *really* like it, but you may be amazed when I tell you it's about Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner - I am certainly amazed that I could enjoy such a book! We read Piranesi with Joy Clarkson's podcast and she had Malcolm Guite (author of the aforementioned) on one episode while they talked about a connection with the Rime and he said he'd written a book about Coleridge and how his life echoed the poem he was later to write. So, I ordered the book because I was intrigued by the conversation, mainly. When it arrived I was dismayed by the size - I tend to avoid thicker books but, too late - I owned the thing. Well, it is Very interesting. 

They've had ground turkey on sale every week lately at the supermarket so I've been getting it, but without having any real expertise with it. I made a meatloaf last week but it was awful; somebody somewhere said you should try to not overmix it, but that isn't easy. I decided that mushy bread crumbs might not help the situation, so today I made meatballs using quick oats and I lightly and carefully mixed. They were good! I think I've got it. 

There was a beautiful sunset the other night, all fiery purples.



3 comments:

  1. Stunning sunset! You read such a variety of books and you always make them sound so interesting! Miss Read is certainly safe and quiet. I haven't read them all by any means but I started with her first one and for a time I felt more at home in her Fairacre books at the school. I save the books for times of stress and when I need comfort. I spoke to my mother about Elizabeth Goudge and she thinks she might have a couple of her books somewhere! I don't ever remember seeing her read EG or remember them on the bookshelves so she must have read them before I was old enough to be aware or after I left home. Mariner sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare! I'll definitely have to try some of the Fairacre books when I finish with these, since everybody seems to prefer them. As for Elizabeth Goudge, I'll say this: her books all seem to deal with reclamation, or a coming to God, a growing. But it's so beautifully portrayed, not in any obvious preachy way. She just shows how things go toward truth and goodness. I'm not putting it very well, but you'll see! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Redemption is what I was really getting at! That's what lies at the heart of her books. As far as the variety of books I read - this reading challenge is certainly helping with that. I am aggravated by it sometimes, but it's a good way to stretch my reading habits, while still choosing things I want.

      Delete