Thursday, July 15, 2021

"only the young are homebound when they can't go out"

"...Miss Montague sat apparently idle, her hands caressing the cat in her lap. Beyond the west window, behind the steep old roofs of Worship Street, the last of a fiery frosty sunset was burning itself out....Motionless in her chair Miss Montague left her room and went up and down the streets of the city, seeing the remembered pattern of its roofs against the sky,...knowing as she turned each corner exactly what she would see, for she had the city by heart....If anyone at this moment was thinking of her it was as a very old woman who never left her house except to go to the Cathedral in her Bath chair when she was well enough, and perhaps they pitied her. They did not know how vivid are the memories of the old and that only the young are homebound when they can't go out."

                                                                 -  Elizabeth Goudge, The Dean's Watch

I'm moving along with The Dean's Watch, and that last line really struck me. I love Elizabeth Goudge and have read several of her books, also this seems to be a favorite with many. But when I bought it last year I couldn't bear what seemed to me a heavy, gloomy atmosphere - so I put it away, surprised and disappointed. Meanwhile, I'm participating in this reading challenge; one of the things is a book I've avoided. Well, this was it, and you know, I'm really enjoying it now. There is a proper time and place for everything.

I worked on my dress today, carefully hand stitching the lace to the area somewhere near the neckline seam, if that's the right term for it. It's where the bias binding is sewn to the neck; I decided to attach it only there and leave it free everywhere else. I decided the other day to do my sewing or something creative for an hour first, before other things. It's nice - I took my time and forgot about everything else. 

It's the feast of St. Bonaventure today -

"When we pray, the voice of the heart must be heard more than the proceedings from the mouth."

It's also Rembrandt's birthday. I hope the two of them are in the same place.


13 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful selection you've shared with us! The Dean's Watch was the first of Goudge's books I read, and it was absolutely the best thing I could have read that day -- yes, I read it in one day, because I was incapable of doing anything else, and it was good food.

    But I never read it a second time, and I didn't copy or retain any good quotes like that one, which captures the truth so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, Gretchen. In one day! Well, that's how her books are - they are healing.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any Elizabeth Goudge books and I now think I must after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, I'm astonished! Don't put it off any longer - let's see, what should I recommend? I've only read a few myself, but the first was A City of Bells - it's enchanting. But The Rosemary Tree, The Scent of Water - either of those. But after you've read a couple, the Eliot family trilogy - oh my gosh. Her thinking is so deep and meaningful, so human. One of these books would be just the thing in this strange season we've been in! (Did you buy the ice cream maker, btw?)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the recommendations; I will definitely give her a go. No, I haven't bought the ice-cream maker yet. I have been in a quandary as to which one to buy - I'm hopeless when there is too much choice! :D

      Delete
  3. Yes, her books are healing! I love this book too. It really all is in the timing ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any Elizabeth Goudge either! With all this talk of how good they are, I'll have to see for myself. Will reserve some from the library. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Lynda! See if they have A City of Bells.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately they do not have that one, but I have reserved some others of hers, and am really enjoying The Scent of Water. xx

      Delete
    3. Wonderful! At least your library has some of her books; ours has none left - if nobody takes them out, we have to get rid of them to make room for new stuff. The value of which may be in question. ahem!

      Delete
    4. Our older books and ones that have not been taken out for a time go into an off site stack, which I imagine is a sort of old books home, but you can still request/reserve them, not sure how long they keep them for though. My Goudge copies came from the off site stack.
      Here in Tasmania you can reserve a book from any library branch in the state and it will be transferred to your local library for pick up. It's a great (free) service :)

      Delete
    5. Inter-library loans - yes!

      Delete