Tuesday, December 15, 2020

more butter

 A few days ago I was somewhere online, not sure where but it may have been Instagram, and somebody had made scones. She said she used more butter than called for - maybe double? - and she always does that. My thought was how unnecessary

Meanwhile, yesterday I baked some scones from my little scone recipe book. Gingerbread scones - sounds delightful! I baked them for the minimum amount of time called for; they came out dry. I mean, baking them for less time wouldn't have improved them much, the recipe really needs  -   more butter. 

I've made scones many times, and have noticed some are softer than others - fat content, I guess - but never made any which seemed too dry. It's funny that it happened right after I made that judgment. I guess her scones really needed more butter, and she knew it. And I have to work on not being so critical. :)

4 comments:

  1. What a disappointment! I suppose with the added dry ingredient (the ginger) more fat would be needed but not much, I would think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think doubling would be too much. But, how much? I'm thinking a whole stick (8T). The recipe called for one-third cup.

      Delete
  2. Until now, my baking mantra has been "Less Sugar." I can see the likelihood of my updating it very soon to "Less Sugar and More Butter!" Because butter is It.

    ReplyDelete