Monday, December 7, 2020

getting ready for Christmas


 It was supposed to rain Saturday, then they said it would snow, and it did. And it's still white, because it's cold, too. 

I'm getting back to making bread again. I always stop in summer. Then there's the tasty supermarket bakery "artisan" bread in the reduced section for half price. I like it, so as long as it was available I didn't need to make my own. But I was missing it. We had to withdraw some older bread machine cookbooks at work, and I took them home, adapting recipes for regular oven use. So far: an oatmeal bread Saturday, and today an oat/wheat bread, substituting a cinnamon-orange simple syrup for the honey it called for. Very fragrant! I love to try new recipes.

I tried drying orange slices. Four hours at 200, and they still weren't entirely dry. 


Not quite what I expected. But I want to try again. I guess some people just let them air dry, but I haven't got a space for that, so I'll have to find a better "recipe". 

We just heard that a 7-CD boxed set of the works of Paul Desmond was released earlier this year. Don't tell Dolly! She'll want it for Christmas. 

2 comments:

  1. I have been hinting that I want a dryer for fruit and vegetables for years! Trying to dry stuff in a modern house is well nigh impossible. The oven is too quick even at the lowest temperature and wants to cook rather than dry and the moisture is still there, as you found. Which is what you want when you cook food in an oven!!
    We had a little snow on Friday and since then we've had lots of frosts and freezing fog. The ponds have frozen. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weatherman here was just talking about freezing fog yesterday - I don't recall ever hearing of it as a kid. A dehydrator would be nice! But I was following instructions from a youtuber who did it four hours at 200, and hers looked nice. So, I don't know. 8-)

      Delete