Sunday, December 20, 2020

fourth Sunday of Advent

 While I was working on dinner, snow began to fall and it continued for several hours, coming down gently. It was beautiful! And Christmas-y.  I stepped outside a few times to get photos - always of the same view, but that's my view! 


And while I worked and while it snowed, the radio just happened to be playing Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. How perfect! It may warm up and possibly rain on Christmas, so I'm happy to see this now, at least. 

I made a simple and very delicious crockpot salmon for the third time. I am always nervous about fish, not wanting to over-cook it and I have baked salmon successfully, but still don't feel confident about it. If you've got two hours to spare, this is just right. Basically, you line the slow cooker with parchment, lay lemon slices along the bottom and place the fish on it. Generously salt and pepper it, add some dill weed, then pour a cup and a half of veg stock and the juice of half a lemon over it, with some more lemon slices, if you want. Cook on low for two hours. Lovely! We had salad, roasted cauliflower and twice-baked sweet potatoes with it. I don't need to make dessert because my brother's been getting goodies from his people. We sampled a few cookies and some chocolate truffles. But not too many. 

And in case you're wondering, the Polish lady has given us the gingerbread, and it's in the freezer. 


Drop down dew from above, you heavens,
and let the clouds rain down the Just One;
let the earth be opened and bring forth a Savior.

7 comments:

  1. Oh that's lovely about the salmon, thanks so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a beautiful view it is!! Natasha sent me a family photo of them in their snowy CT garden :) So pretty, and hard for us to imagine with our summer Christmas here (even thought today is cool and raining). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they're enjoying it, Lynda. A warm Christmas is very hard for me to imagine - life is funny. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, how nice. Everything cozy and Christmas-y. Where I grew up (in Central California, in the agricultural heartland) we often had white Christmases, but they were white with the most bone-freezing thick fog you can imagine. I've never lived where it snows so I don't miss it; I only feel odd sending snowy Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I can't imagine living in any other type of climate! But it must indeed be strange for everyone else at Christmas. Funny how that idea of Christmas took over.

      Delete
  4. The recipe sounds very good and I like cooked salmon though not smoked salmon. Richard isn't keen on any kind of salmon unfortunately but this is something I could cook if we had guests. I wonder if we'll ever have guests again!
    The snow looks so pretty! We are having rain and more rain - ugh!
    Oh, an O Antiphon! I am missing hearing them this Advent!

    ReplyDelete