Sunday, November 22, 2020

new customer at the drive-thru

 The bird feeder went up this week, and then I saw an unfamiliar bird there. I thought at first glance it was a chickadee, but it had a stripe along the head unlike the chickadee. Small and roundish like a wren, but it was gray, not brown. I got the bird book.

"borrowed" from the internet

A red-breasted nuthatch. We are used to seeing a different kind of nuthatch, the white-breasted - very different looking, with a white face. 


But I did think of a nuthatch when I saw him go upside down on the pole, like nuthatches do. 

I wonder how common they are, since the feeder is up every winter and I like to look up new (to me) birds - this cute fellow I don't think I've seen.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He looks more like a wren to me, and I love wrens. :)

      Delete
  2. We've been having traffic at our bird feeder, too, though nothing lovely like yours! We do have regular visits from chickadees, in addition to the cardinals, finches, and woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, keep a bird book handy, Nellie - you may get a new bird one day and you'll want to know what it is!

      Delete
  3. Having a new visitor like that is always a little thrill! How cool! This year we saw Spotted Towhee in the backyard for the first time in the eight years we've lived here. We mostly see them up in the mountains. We have a pair of Red Breasted Nuthatches that live around our place. I love watching them moving up and down the trees, especially upside down!!! Enjoy your new friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just looked it up - what a pretty bird.

      Delete
  4. I love birds! When I wake in the morning to birdsong, I am always so happy. What a beautiful new visitor you have had! I love your posts! (ps: I responded (blathered on about dishes and linens) to one of your comments on my latest blog post) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks very similar to ours! While your white-crested one to me looks a lot more like the wagtail... but without the long wagging tail. :D
    And yes, the climbing headfirst is very typical of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they must be of the same family, then! How many bird groups can there be?

      Delete