Monday, August 24, 2020

pretty butterfly

 There was a butterfly on the zinnias. Butterflies are easy to examine, since they aren't concerned with being looked at.


I got out the butterfly identification guide. It seems to be a tiger swallowtail. Except the one in the book has a black border on the wings, and this one doesn't seem to. I googled it


Now here you can see some black edging on the underside. I don't know what to think. It seems to be the only butterfly of that color for our region. Well, maybe that just means he's an individual! Aren't we all!

7 comments:

  1. I have had a look at Eastern Swallowtail butterflies and I think you are right that your one, is one. However, your butterfly is an older and damaged one. If you look at the edge that should be black-bordered you can see it is very frayed. The poor thing has lost quite a lot of wing but can still fly and is enjoying your flowers! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Clare, I wondered about that. I don't know enough about them to know if they can get such tattered wings and still manage. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. They are fantastically strong for such seemingly fragile and delicate insects. I have seen butterflies with only half a wing left still fluttering about. We get butterflies that fly here from Europe. How they manage to cross the sea, especially in bad weather is beyond me!

      Delete
    3. I know - it's incredible that they don't end up in a different continent every season, just by being blown around! It's quite amazing.

      Delete
  2. I'm always engaged in similar observations/investigations with little prior knowledge to go on.... but of course, each little encounter like this, especially when one has friends close or remote to discuss it with, increases our experience and understanding.

    It also increases our understanding of how little we know!! Thank you for sharing your butterfly.

    XO

    ReplyDelete