Wednesday, August 5, 2020

in the nick of time

A storm came our way yesterday, a tropical storm. The library closed early and I was at home with the cats, Dolly crying because I wouldn't let her in the windows. But the wind was too strong and I wanted all the windows shut in case of flying objects.

A big limb came down in back near the bridge, and the corn, which we thought would soon be ready, was every which way.
But my brother picked it all - there were several ears that looked good, though a little small. I took two, and cooked them. Sweet, juicy and delicious! I'm so glad we didn't lose it. 

Today we had lots of people come in the library hoping we had power so they could do some work. It could have been much worse - it could have been a hurricane.

5 comments:

  1. So... some of the corn wasn't ready yet? Or maybe you don't know, because you left it in the husks for now... What you show here looks awfully yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd had our supper by that time, Gretchen, so I just cooked two so we could try them.

      Delete
  2. My daughter and family on the coast had trees down too, and lost power for an extended period. Thankfully they have a generator, so were able to keep freezers going to avoid food loss. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good - so many have generators these days. I think it was worse down along the coast.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you could salvage a lot of the corn, Lisa and that apart from the tree limb, you had no other damage. High winds at this time of year can do so much damage to food crops. xoxo

    ReplyDelete