Saturday, July 11, 2020

from one thing to another

The fireflies are out there, darting and twinkling. I brought my ipad outside, thinking to film them. I couldn't. Is it possible? But why are people in their houses, not even caring this display goes on every year at this time? This magic.

Dolly would eat all day long - she often falls asleep with her head near the bowl.



We opened the library to the public. Almost everyone tells us how glad they are we're open. One woman who lives across the street said that when she was alone over these few months of quarantine, she'd look over and feel better, knowing we were there, at work. She's a quiet woman - you never know what people are feeling.

I like to look at my magazines that come every month and write down things which inspire me: projects, recipes, images. There was a cauliflower soup; it seemed nothing unusual. Meanwhile, when the whole virus started up and there were gaps in the grocery aisles and we didn't know how bad it would get or what to expect, we bought some canned soups and vegetables. Now, I'm wanting to use up some of this stuff. So today I cooked up a head of cauliflower with tarragon and pureed it along with some chicken gelatin and water, then added two cans of chicken soup and half a can of peas. It was quite good! And all just because I saw a picture of something.




Sweetie had her biopsy on Tuesday, soon we'll see what the results are.

10 comments:

  1. Keep us posted about Sweetie and wonderful about the soup! 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and Sweetie.

    I often start with some sort of base recipe when cooking. But then anything can happen :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But inspiration is very helpful to me, as sometimes I'm just in a rut. (or think I am)

      Delete
  3. We did the same as you and bought quite a lot of tinned vegetables, just in case we couldn't get to the shops or in case when we got there the shelves were bare! We have been using them now and again and find that tinned sweetcorn is very nice - better than frozen , I think.
    I do hope that Sweetie's biopsy news is good xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Clare - the canned ones are juicier and reliably sweeter.

      Delete
  4. I meant to add how I envy you your fireflies! I would love to see them and would be out watching them as often as I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would, Clare. I know you to be a true nature lover. :)

      Delete
  5. Over the years I've had subscriptions to various food and cooking magazines, all of which I eventually cancelled because I never took the time to read them. But I still have many of the ones that came into the house -- they are timeless. And it sounds like the most wonderfully relaxing mini-vacation to take a whole day and browse among the stacks. But I've never done it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday they may come in handy, Gretchen.

      Delete