Sunday, April 5, 2020

low-yeast bread success

I am so psyched: I baked a loaf of bread, using only a quarter teaspoon of yeast. It came out just fine!


the cauliflower has sprouted!

Ever since I stumbled upon Artisan Bread with Steve, a youtube channel, I was wanting to try his method. Over the past few years, my researches have led me to the idea that a long rise using less yeast gives much more flavor - it's a more natural way of doing things. So, when I find a recipe which interests me, I make it, but with less yeast than called for.

after mixing and sitting out all night

But Steve uses only one quarter teaspoon, and that's hardly any. And his recipes look good, but I wanted to understand the method. He uses more water, which enables you to proceed with less yeast, and no kneading. Like the 5-minute artisan breads. So, after doing more research, I discovered that a flour to water ratio is normally 5:3. But with wetter, artisan-type doughs, the water amount is about three quarters of the flour weight. So that meant I'd have to weigh my flour after measuring to determine how much liquid to add. But I did it, and mixed it, and after 18 hours I shaped it for the second rise.

ready for the second proof

Another hour and a half or so, and it was ready for baking. So now I have three methods of baking bread, and depending on how much time I have and when I'm available, making bread can be done around my schedule. Excellent!





7 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! Did you use white flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, it's two cups regular, two whole wheat. There's also some milk in it, and small amounts of butter and honey.

      Delete
  2. How interesting! It certainly looks very good <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely bread!! Congratulations on your success! I find myself safe at home with rapid rise yeast, not the kind I traditionally use in hot cross buns. That's what we'll have to go with this year, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nellie! Your rapid rise will be fine if you just use a little less, I think.

      Delete