Monday, March 16, 2020

in all seriousness

The library is closed to the public now, and for the next two weeks. We are still going to work, there is always plenty to do, and over the weekend we told the patrons that if they needed anything we could gather it for them and bring it out when they drive up. Everyone seemed pleased to think we would do that.


I checked out every cd the library has of religious vocal music from the middle ages and renaissance era. I'm playing them during Lent. This music is mostly solemn and it seems to soothe the cats.


I've always been partial to it, too, and it fits in with the seriousness of the season.


I had a new recipe to try today which required me to slice an acorn squash. I've never been able to do that - they are too hard (and probably my knives are too dull). But today I had an idea. I put it in the microwave for just one minute. Then I found I was able to halve it. But I still couldn't slice it. So, I put the halves back in for one minute. I could slice it after that! Then it got roasted with some other vegetables. I will remember this technique.




A woman in our church's ladies' group suggested putting an electric or battery-powered candle in the window, as a small sign of encouragement, I suppose. So, I did. Tough times.



5 comments:

  1. The candle in the window is a lovely idea! Will you have to wipe the books etc. before giving them out and when they are returned? Everyone here is being advised to sterilise everything, all the time!!
    All our church services have been suspended for the forseeable future and it will only be a few days before I will have to stay at home permanently for months! We have had a meeting this evening with Leon our priest to decide how we can keep in-touch with everyone and how to offer help or advise. Such difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Clare. The books are being taken out of the drop every day with gloves, and I think we're leaving them for three days or maybe four, because they have plastic covers and they say it can stay alive that long on stainless steel and plastic. Then we use a cloth that's sprayed with a mild disinfectant. The best we can do! It's all new territory!
      So you will have to stay at home for MONTHS? Is this what Boris is suggesting? I think I'll email you.

      Delete
  2. At the moment we are being advised to stay at home for an indefinite period. There has been no order to stay at home yet. Some sources say that this will probably last for about twelve weeks. Others won't be that specific. Who knows what will happen?! I went shopping yesterday for my mother and the shops are full of people (some of the shelves are empty due to panic-buyers but deliveries are still arriving) and cafés are still open with people eating and drinking together. This won't last much longer I know, but while people can get out and about they are doing so. Fortunately I live in a fairly sparsely populated part of England and as it has no motorways running through it we get no passing traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll keep it going as long as we have AA batteries.

      Delete