Monday, December 2, 2019

still snowing

This is the way December should be. A white month. Of course, it's only the second, but it's been snowing all day, just flakes here and there, but enough to make a blanket and now it's gotten heavier.


I went across the brook the other day to try and find something of interest to stick into the urn on the front step. I cut something that's probably spruce and two dried hydrangea heads. I'll keep looking, because it still needs more. A little here, a little there.




Not very wintery-looking, but beautiful.

I was cleaning in the bathroom and got a sudden notion to wash the window. It occurred to me that just because it was too cold to wash the outside, I could do the inside and the storm windows (which we keep in all year). This was a novel idea. I mean, window-washing weather is over, so I thought I just couldn't clean them till spring. You see how hard it is for me to think outside the box when it comes to housework. Anyway, it was fun, opening the window in the snowing and blowing to remove the storm windows, and then quickly shutting it again. It looks so much better! Never too old to learn (something obvious).

 see the cobwebs? gone now!

After I cleaned the shower curtain liner, the supervisor came along to survey my work.



Where I live, December is a month eclipsed by Christmas. Or, one could say it takes its identity from its association with Christmas. And as such, in my imagination it is fresh and white all month. But in reality, it isn't. The temperatures are usually mild and start getting near freezing around the time of the solstice, although this week temps in the thirties are predicted for every day. 


4 comments:

  1. Yes, you are right that December is the month of Christmas, though when I was very young we were discouraged from talking about Christmas too early i.e. at the beginning of the month. In those days it was possible to buy presents and Christmas food right up until Christmas Eve evening. Nowadays, the sales begin in the shops before Christmas and no-one would dream of trying to buy a Christmas tree on Christmas Eve as we did then. Our weather is often very mild at Christmas - very un-Christmassy, in fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, it's impossible to NOT talk about Christmas so early! When I mention Advent to anyone who's not Catholic (or high-church Protestant, I suppose), they smile at me as if they're indulging a fanatic. (and maybe they are, although I don't believe I'm acting fanatically about it!) :D
      So Clare, do you think that Charles Dickens really is responsible for our ideas about Christmas, with the snow, etc., even when our climates don't always fit the image? By the way, if you haven't seen the film, The Man Who Invented Christmas with Dan Stevens, it's very enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the film; in fact I hadn't heard of it til your post! I obviously live a very sheltered life. :D I will look out for it on DVD.
    I believe Dickens had a lot to do with our modern conceptions about Christmas. His childhood was extremely deprived and this damaged him for life. His story tells of a Christmas that he wished he had had. If I think about Jane Austen's 'Emma' published in 1816 and her description in it of a Georgian Christmas, it is very low-key and understated compared with the descriptions of Christmas in 'A Christmas Carol' published in 1843, only 27 years later and probably set earlier - in the years of Dickens' youth. The end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries were very cold - a mini ice age I think they call that time - and Britain experienced perishing weather during the winters. One of my favourite books is 'The Diary of a Country Parson 1758 - 1802' by James Woodforde and his descriptions of Christmas and the awful weather at that time are fascinating.
    Most people I know who don't go to church have no idea what Advent means. I also know a few people who are Nonconformists - Baptists, Methodists etc and they know nothing about Advent either. I love Advent! I try to take time to pray more and to be honest with myself about my failings. I try not to get too frantic with my Christmas preparations but this gets harder each year as I have more and more to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color combination of the spruce and dried hydrangeas is attractive. Maybe not traditionally wintery, but the green and bronze look good together....festive!

    Yes to thinking outside the housework box. It is scary at first, but with practice it becomes freeing.

    Hope your supervisor is not too picky! But I bet your bathroom was sparkling anyway.

    ReplyDelete