Thursday, November 21, 2019

shake, rattle and roll


We thought, last Thursday, the road would soon be paved, because they were putting down more dirt and rolling over it to flatten it out. But, no.

Monday, after my brother went out, I looked outside to see a large mound of dirt at the end of our driveway and the big claw was parked on our front lawn.

it got bigger than this



There were deep trenches again with workers in them up to the neck. Phase three, I guess: They were doing the storm drains. So, first they had replaced pipes that brought sewage out, the the pipes which bring clean water in, and now the storm drains. Phase four, presumably, is the paving. (I am surmising).  Everyone's yard has either mounds of dirt on it, or stacks of pipe.


Day after day they dig these pits, and have to fill them in at day's end. Amazing. 

This is all a prelude to yesterday morning. My brother had just gone out on an errand and I was getting ready for work. The house began to shake, like an earthquake. I knew it wasn't that - those fellows were outside. I think this contraption compacts the soil to ready it for paving.


These fellows always show up around 7 every day, but this morning all was strangely quiet and deserted. Until now - I can hear their vehicles beeping as I write this. We'll see what transpires today. If anyone on the street has a large party planned for Thanksgiving next week, that could be interesting.

6 comments:

  1. This is a gargantuan task! And so very compelling. The unseen is seen for a while and then life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I never thought about what is below ground, but it must be lots of stuff!

      Delete
  2. I can't remember if I commented! What lot of work they are doing! I hope it is ok for everyone for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see - maybe they can get it finished by then!

      Delete
  3. Your workers certainly work differently to ours! As I mentioned before, our workmen don't fill in their trenches at the end of each day, only when they have finished the job. They make all as safe as they can with hoarding and boards and covers. I hope the work in your street is all finished very soon. Before Thanksgiving and before the really bad weather arrives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, they actually PAVED THE ROAD TODAY! :D All in an afternoon.

      Delete