Wednesday, November 27, 2019

a day in the kitchen

I have a nice co-worker who didn't have to cook for Thanksgiving, and she wanted to work today, a half-day. So, she worked and I stayed home! I spent the day in the kitchen.


I always have more pumpkin pie filling than will fit in the crust, so there were three extra custards for dessert today.

The broccoli/cauliflower gratin is done.


Gruyere is often the cheese called for in these dishes, but I was in the middle of grating the cheese when I realized I'd bought gouda! I really couldn't find a huge difference online, and the sauce looks and tastes fine, so - it is what it is! As long as we can eat it and it's tasty!

I also made the gravy. There won't be drippings with a turkey breast, so I would rather do as much ahead of time as possible.


I wanted a cranberry apple pie, but didn't want to bother. I was going to make a crisp, but really wanted it in pie form. I ended up making a one-crust pie with crisp topping. (don't know what I was fussing about)

A lot of dish-washing, a minimal bit of cleaning, one load of laundry, and a small batch of cookies.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Thanksgiving celebrations! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks very nice indeed! I hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness! You accomplished so much, Lisa, and from the way this reads you accomplished it with aplomb. Happy Thanksgiving and a blessed Advent to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and a blessed Advent to you, too. xo

      Delete