Monday, September 2, 2019

a fall capsule menu

The idea of a capsule wardrobe is buzzing around in recent years. It has its merits and has given me something to think about. But from it I've suddenly got the idea of making a seasonal capsule menu!


It all came about a week or two ago - I made an Italian style macaroni and cheese. It was good! But I could feel myself falling into a habit of too much carb-y stuff at dinner, and I didn't like it. I'd been watching a few of Audrey's youtube videos about her ideas for capsule dressing, and it came to me that I could use this idea for menu-planning.

And so in a notebook I wrote down all kind of foods which seemed fall-appropriate to me. I went through my recipe box and removed all the ones I might like to eat over the next three or so months. I made a pinterest board with recipes I'd accumulated with seasonal interest.

Now I have lots of options! I feel so relieved, just to have these ideas at hand.

Today, for Labor Day we had a friend over; I made Emeril's sloppy joes, cukes cut up, and Anna's brownies, and there was ice cream. Carbs, yes, but it's inevitable at times, and it's a holiday.

Of course I can depart from it, but it's so helpful to be organized, isn't it?

10 comments:

  1. Now this is a very good idea! As you know, I am not the keenest cook and I usually leave deciding what we are to eat until the last possible minute. We usually end up having the same old boring meals week in and week out. If (and this is a big if) I was more organised with a variety of seasonal meals to chose from and all the ingredients to hand in the cupboard, things might be easier. We shall see :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hopes for this, Clare, are that it won't be a solution, but a help, a framework.

      Delete
  2. That might be a good plan for me. Since my husband died I have not ceased struggling about cooking and eating. I like eating very much, but I seem unwilling to take all the time necessary to plan meals and shop and cook. I'm trying to accept the need for it, but I haven't come near to working it into a habit or routine.

    Your Italian mac and cheese looks so appetizing... that's what drew me in! (But I'm also "trying" to eat fewer carbs - ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we can rely on those carbs to draw us in every time!

      Delete
  3. Organization is absolutely the key, Lisa! Good for you making this list. Just having the ideas on paper makes meal planning so much easier. The macaroni and cheese looks delicious, and your Labor Day menu is quintessential summer. I love Sloppy Joes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! You are very encouraging. :)

      Delete
  4. Meal planning is a good idea. What a good use of Pinterest too. I try to keep to a meal plan every now and again, but I always end up in a rut. I'm intrigued by your Italian style macaroni cheese. What do you put in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't terribly Italian; I know I put in some Italian seasoning. Some wilted Swiss chard that was hanging around got mixed in (Italians love greens). Lots of Parm on top. I feel like there was something else, but can't remember! (pitiful, I know) I do still eschew the white sauce for a sauce made with vegetable stock and I like that much better, (but that's not Italian). Sorry, Cheryl! :(

      Delete